Relaxation strategies help:
- Reduce muscle tension
- Increase feelings of calmness
Muscle relaxation has four steps:
- Divide your muscles into groups.
- Relax the muscles in the first group.
- Move to the next group and relax those muscles.
- Repeat for all muscle groups.
- After the last group scan your entire body for remaining muscle tension.
- Release any muscle tension that is left.
List of muscle groups:
- Right arm
- Left arm
- Both arms
- Upper body
- Right thigh
- Right lower leg
- Left thigh
- Left lower leg
- Both legs
- Entire body
Muscle relaxation takes time to learn.
- Practice is important.
- Over time, muscle relaxation exercises become easier and more helpful.
- Start by practicing 3-4 times per week.