Checking your blood pressure (BP) at home is easy. Just follow these rules. Choose a BP monitor that is approved by your doctor or pharmacist. You can buy one at your local drug store. Make sure it fits. Follow the instructions in the package. Check your BP twice a day and record the results.
Tips for Monitoring Blood Pressure at Home
- Stop smoking, drinking caffeine, and exercising 30 minutes before measuring your BP
- Rest for 5 minutes before measuring your BP
- Sit with your legs uncrossed and your back supported
- Keep the arm you are using to measure BP at heart level
- Make sure the bottom of the cuff is just above the bend of the elbow
- Don’t put the cuff over your clothes
Measure your BP twice a day. Measure it at the same time every day. Know your numbers. A single high reading may not be an emergency. Check with your doctor so you know when to call for guidance.
Bring your BP results and monitor to the doctor whenever you go. Your doctor will make sure you are measuring your BP properly.
It’s as easy as 1 – 2 – 3 to home check your BP!